1. Turn the oven to 400ºF. Slice the butternut squash in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds. Place cut-side down in a rimmed baking dish.
2. Add ½ cup water around the squash and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
3. Scoop the flesh out the squash and puree until smooth. Set aside.
4. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water and drain.
5. In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, salt, Italian seasoning, paprika and black pepper and cook 1 minute.
6. Add flour, and stir until incorporated. Gradually whisk in the milk, cooking over medium-heat until smooth and thickened.
7. Stir in all of butternut squash puree (about 2 cups) and cheese. Remove from heat. Add pasta to cheese sauce and stir until combined, add reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if desired. Serve.
Recipe created by The Recipe Rebel for Dairy Farmers of Manitoba