1. In a food processor, combine flour and sugar; sprinkle with butter cubes; pulse until fine crumbs. Drizzle in cream and process until dough clumps together. Gather dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until chilled.
2. Once the pastry is chilled, roll out it to a 14-inch (35 cm) circle on a large piece of lightly floured parchment paper, dusting it with flour to prevent sticking. Slide parchment and pastry onto a large baking sheet.
1. While the pastry is chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 4 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to the food processor bowl and let cool. Move rack to bottom third of oven; leave the oven on.
2. In a bowl, combine apples and juice and toss to coat. Set 1 tbsp (15 mL) of each sugar and cream aside separately for topping.
3. Add remaining sugar and flour to food processor; pulse until almonds are finely ground. Add remaining cream and egg; process until blended.
1. Spread almond filling in a circle in the centre of the pastry, leaving a 3-inch (7.5 cm) border. Arrange apples on top, overlapping as necessary. Gently fold edges of dough toward the centre over apples, pleating as necessary, leaving about 5 inches (12.5 cm) in centre exposed. Brush pastry with reserved cream; sprinkle reserved sugar over pastry and apples.
2. Bake in the bottom third of the oven for 20 min. Reduce temperature to 375°F (190°C); bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until crust is golden and apples are tender. Let cool until slightly warm.
Recipe and photo are provided by Dairy Farmers of Canada. For more recipe ideas, visit dairygoodness.ca.