1. Mix dry ingredients. Add milk, butter and egg yolks. Beat until smooth.
2. Using a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into first mixture.
3. Prepare waffles according to manufacturer’s cooking instructions or until golden brown. Serve waffles with sauce and fresh or glazed berries.
1. While stirring, heat 2 cups (500 mL) of milk over medium heat until scalded (steam rises and bubbles form along the edges) – do not boil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar then add 3/4 cup (175 mL) milk and mix well. Whisk flour mixture into the scalded milk. Continue stirring and cook over medium-low heat until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Add the butter, vanilla and egg yolks. Stir to blend.
To learn more about the Friesen family’s Dairy Story, click here.