- Prep Time
- Cook Time
Got Manitoba garden tomatoes and carrots? This recipe is a great way to use your summer harvest.
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 Roma tomatoes (or 5-6 cups chopped, diced tomatoes, fresh or canned)
- 4 cups (1 L) low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (2.5 mL) Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) basil
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup (250 mL) cream (half and half (10%), coffee cream (18%), or whipping cream)
- Parmesan cheese, optional
Add carrots, tomatoes, broth, onion, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, basil, and red pepper flakes if using to a 4-5 litre dutch oven or soup pot. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender (roughly 30 minutes).
Puree soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor that can process hot liquids (or cool before blending).
Stir in cream and serve with Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs as desired.
Use any type of cream you have in your fridge! Adding cream to soup is an easy way to use up cream that is about to expire, while making a smooth and delicious soup!