1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180 °C). Grease a 9×9-inch (23 cm) baking pan.
2. In a small saucepan, heat milkand butter over medium-low heat until steaming hot and butter is melted (do not boil).
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar; beat until thick. Beat in vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture just until blended. Stir in hot milk mixture until incorporated. Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
4. While cake is baking, combine milk, butter, brown sugar, and coconut in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until butteris melted and sugar is dissolved (do not boil).
5. Remove cake from oven and preheat broiler. Spread topping over warm cake. Broil for about 2-3 minutes or until topping is bubbling. Let cool in pan on a rack for 15 min and serve warm or let cool completely.
Recipe courtesy of Dairy Farmers of Canada