1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter an 8-cup (2 L) shallow baking dish.
2. Place carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 3 inches (7.5 cm) and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and boil gently for 5 minutes or until starting to soften. Add cauliflower, then broccoli; cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and boil gently for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp. Drain well and place in buttered dish.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the butter over medium heat; sauté onion for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and stir until melted. Sprinkle in flour, salt, and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly. Cook, whisking, for about 3 minutes or until it’s thick and bubbly.
4. Reduce heat to low; add cream cheese and stir until smooth. Pour over vegetables in the dish and stir gently to coat evenly. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over casserole. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Recipe and photo are provided by Dairy Farmers of Canada. For more recipe ideas, visit dairygoodness.ca.