LEMON BUTTERMILK CAKE:
ALMOND WHIPPED CREAM:
Lemon Buttermilk Cake:
1. Pre-heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly butter a 10-inch (25 cm) non- stick springform pan; line bottom with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together sugar, butter and vanilla, until creamy and smooth. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk until well mixed. Add lemon zest and juice; mix well. Spread into the prepared pan; smooth top.
4. Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan and cool on rack completely.
1. In a medium saucepan, combine raspberries, sugar, water and juice; bring to a simmer on high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes or until raspberries are completely broken down. Strain through a fine meshed sieve, pressing on berries to extract juice. Discard seeds and refrigerate syrup to cool completely.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Place peaches cut side down on greased grill; grill covered for 3 to 4 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn peaches over and grill 1 to 2 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature or up to 6 hours.
Almond Whipped Cream:
1. In a chilled bowl, whip cream, icing sugar, and almond and vanilla extracts until stiff peaks form.
2. On a serving platter, place cake. Cut a wafer thin horizontal slice off the top of the cake (and enjoy). Drizzle with 3/4 cup (175 mL) of the raspberry syrup. Spread almond cream to the edges. Place grilled peach halves on top. Drizzle remaining raspberry syrup and sprinkle with almonds. Serve immediately. Enjoy!