1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter a non-stick muffin pan (for bigger appetites, butter only 10 muffin cups); divide breadcrumbs between cups. Shake and tilt the pan to coat all sides of the cups well. Discard any excess.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for about 8 min or until al dente, or according to package directions.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, melt butter. Sprinkle with flour, mustard, salt and pepper; cook, whisking, for 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Whisk for 3 to 5 min or until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of Cheddar cheese until melted and smooth. (Option)*
4. Drain macaroni and return to pot. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; stir until coated.
5. Divide the mixture evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 20 min or until hot. let stand for 10 min. Run a small knife around each muffin, then ease it out of the cup.
Recipe adapted from Dairy Farmers of Canada, dairygoodness.ca
Truffled Mac ‘N Cheese Variation:
- For a more sophisticated Macaroni and cheese, try making Truffled Mac ‘N Cheese.
- Follow directions up to the option indicator. Remove from heat; stir in truffle oil and 2 cups (500 mL) Cheddar until melted and smooth.
- Butter a 9×13-inch (3 L) square baking dish. Pour combined macaroni and cheese sauce into the prepared baking dish. Top with bread crumbs and remaining cheese. Bake as per the directions above.
- For another variation, instead of using truffle oil, try using Manitoba’s Bothwell Black Truffle Cheese.
- For this version, instead of 2 1/2 cups of Cheddar, use 1 1/2 cups (~0.18 Kg) of shredded Bothwell Black Truffle (divided) and 1 cup of shredded Canadian Cheddar (divided).
- Combine shredded Black Truffle and Cheddar cheese. Reserve ½ cup of blended cheese for garnish.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat, melt butter. Sprinkle with flour, mustard, salt and pepper; cook, whisking, for 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Whisk for 3 to 5 min or until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 2 cups (500 mL) cheese until melted and smooth.
- Follow the remaining directions as above.